JOANA: And I don,t like to go to dinner parties.
我不喜欢参加宴会。
PAULO: Come on, Joana. You can,t say “no” to the Crawfords.
琼娜帮个忙, 你不能拒绝郭佛家人的邀请。
JOANA: My English is so bad, and they don,t speak Portuguese.
我的英文那么差, 而他们又不会说葡萄牙文。
PAULO: Your English is fine. And you have a good accent.
你的英文很好, 而且你的发音很标准。
JOANA: Do you really think so?
你真的这样认为吗?
PAULO: Yes, I do. And you can practice your English at the party.
是的, 我真的这样认为。 何况你参加宴会, 又可以练习说英文。
JOANA: You,re so confident.
你倒很有信心。
PAULO: Then you,re coming?
这么说, 你是要去了。
JOANA: No, Paulo. I don,t want to go.
不, 保罗, 我还是不想去。
PAULO: Please, Joana. Do it for me. For my career.
琼娜, 我求你, 就算是为我好了, 为了我的前途。
JOANA: Who,s that?
是谁啊?
PAULO: He,s here. Please, Joana, for me. The door,s open! Come in!
他来了, 求你,琼娜,你就为我去吧。
MICHAEL: Hi, Paulo.
嗨, 保罗。
PAULO: Hello, Michael. Do you know my sister, Joana?
嗨, 迈克尔。 你认不认识我妹妹琼娜?
MICHAEL: No, I don,t.
不认识。
PAULO: Joana, I want you to meet Michael Crawford. He,s driving us to his parents, party.
琼娜, 介绍一下, 这是迈克尔·郭佛。 他要载我们去参加他父母的宴会。
JOANA: How do you do?
你好。
MICHAEL: It,s a pleasure to meet you Joana.
琼娜, 很高兴认识。
PAULO: I,m ready, but Joana…
我已经准备好了, 但是琼娜她……
JOANA: Oh, Paulo. Just five more minutes. Sorry to keep you waiting.
噢, 保罗, 再五分钟就好了。 对不起, 让你等。
MICHAEL: Don,t apologize. I,m happy you,re coming.
不用道歉, 我很高兴你们来参加。
MR. CRAWFORD: Michael.
迈克尔。
MICHAEL: Yes, Dad.
爸爸, 什么事?
MR. CRAWFORD: We have to talk.
我们必须谈一谈。
MICHAEL: Oh? What about?
哦? 谈什么?
MR. CRAWFORD: The business, son.
谈有关公司的事。
MICHAEL: What about it?
公司怎么样?
MR. CRAWFORD: It,s growing. I want an assistant, and…
公司在扩大业务, 我需要一个助手, 而……
MICHAEL: And you want me.
而您需要我。
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. I,m 57. Soon…
对, 我已经五十七岁了, 没多久……
MICHAEL: Dad. You know I,m an artist.
爸爸, 你知道我是个艺术家。
MR. CRAWFORD: I don,t understand.
我不了解。
MICHAEL: I know you don,t.
我知道你不了解。
MR. CRAWFORD: You,re 29. You,re intelligent.
你二十九岁, 又很有头脑。
MICHAEL: And I want to paint.
我要画画。
MR. CRAWFORD: That,s a hobby, not a career.
那是一种嗜好, 不是一种职业。
MICHAEL: What about Michelangelo or Picasso? Was it a hobby for them, too?
米开朗基罗跟毕加索呢? 画画对他们来讲也是一种嗜好吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: No. Of course not. But…
不是, 当然不是, 可是……
MICHAEL: But what? Maybe I,m not Picasso. But I have to try. Give me a year. One more year.
可是怎么样? 我固然不是毕加索, 可是我不能不试一试。 再给我一年的时间好了, 一年。
FRIEND: Don,t cry, Laura. You don,t have to work there.
劳拉你不要哭, 你不一定要在那里工作。
LAURA: But I need the money!
可是我不能喝西北风! (可是我需要钱呀!)
FRIEND: Why don,t you look for a new job?
你为什么不找一份新的工作?
LAURA: Where? How? I don,t know my way around New York. I feel lost.
到哪里找? 怎么找? 我对纽约不熟, 我感到茫然。
FRIEND: What,s wrong with the job, Laura? What don,t you like about it?
劳拉, 那份工作哪里不好? 你是哪一点不喜欢呢?
LAURA: My boss. I don,t understand him.
我的老板, 我不了解他。
FRIEND: What don,t you understand?
你哪一点不了解?
LAURA: I don,t think he,s human.
我觉得他不是人。
FRIEND: What do you mean?
我不懂?
LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life.
对他来说, 生意就是一切, 生意就是他的生命。
FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can,t be so bad.
噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那么差劲。
LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He,s a machine.
他的确那么差劲。 他像机器一样。
LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business.
从来不说一声友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下。 什么都没有, 就只有生意。
LAURA: He isn,t human.
他没有人性。
FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don,t you?
你的工作怎么样? 你喜欢, 对不对?
LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I,m a good secretary, but…
是的, 我喜欢。 而且我知道我是个好秘书, 可是……
FRIEND: But what?
可是怎么样?
LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine.
我在他的眼里一文不值, 是部机器。 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!
FRIEND: Why don,t you talk to him?
你为什么不和他说呢?
LAURA: Because he,s impossible. Leopards don,t change their spots. I have to look for a new job.
因为他不可理喻, 本性难移。 我必须找份新工作。
PAULO: What are you doing?
你在做什么?
JOANA: I,m writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner.
我在写一封信给郭佛家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待。
PAULO: Why don,t you call them? Here people always use the phone.
为什么不打电话? 这里的人都是用电话的。